Thursday, August 12, 2010

Travel Day 4--Addis Ababa (aka July 18)

This morning the rooster was late (didn’t start crowing until about 530) in waking everyone up—but the Islamic call to prayer was right on time about 5am. I believe that woke up the rooster. A short while later there was some commotion downstairs maybe at the family compound next to us. I hate not knowing the language. During the commotion outside, there was a man yelling (and laying on a car horn). The tone of the man seemed either urgent or angry, I couldn’t tell which (not knowing the language). That was a bit distressing. Was someone ill, injured, trying to break into a house or to the hotel? In the dark, not knowing the language and being separated from your kids (albeit by a 2 doors and about 10 feet), I don’t think being a little nervous is unwarranted. Anyway, as the light came up, it seemed business as usual everywhere.

Our driver for the day, Dawit, arrived right on time at 10am. He was recommended by Gail at AAI—mostly because he had a van that could comfortably seat several people. We were a bit more comfortable today. We delivered a package to Layla House for one of the volunteers from her mom. We then went and booked our hotel at the Green Valley Hotel for when we get back from our tour. Green Valley is just down the road from Kidane Mihret (5-10 min walk with only one big street to cross). We drove up to the gates of Kidane Mihret and I so wanted to go visit, but we weren’t expected and I don’t think It’s fair for Hanna to see us for a little today, not again for a week then for another few days. I also don’t think I’d handle that very well either.

We went to a market and I was able to buy some cloth--one silk piece and one cotton piece. I probably paid more than a local would have paid, 1000 Birr for both pieces ($73). I think it is a better price than I would have paid in the states though so I’m happy. The shopkeeper was going to charge me 2400 Birr for both, so at least I haggled some. We wanted to go by a book store today because I wanted some books in Amharic but they were closed. We were able to buy an Amharic Bible. It was interesting in that you buy Bibles not necessarily from a bookstore but around a church. There was a roadside stand with sellers set up to sell Amharic gospel music, Bibles and Christian literature. We paid about 80 Birr ($6).

We went next to the Ethnological Museum. That has been the most interesting place other than seeing the Lucy bones yesterday. The museum was sectioned off by life stages, childbirth, adolescence, adulthood and death. There was also a lot of interesting art work from the 16th century on, a lot of them religious paintings that were vibrant in color and painted on wood or canvas. Our driver took us back to the same restaurant we ate at yesterday, but as the menu was different, it was fine. The weather today was a bit chillier…maybe in the high 60s as compared to the low 70s yesterday. Not cold, just a slight chill in the air that made a long sleeve cotton shirt comfortable.

When we got back, everyone took another of those long naps…even the girls were ready for a nap today! Sarah and I both felt the altitude more today. I’ve been feeling a little more short of breath that comes and goes. Sarah was notably out of breath and breathing hard after going up a flight of stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment